Friday, September 18, 2009

Objections Please


Objections are like excuses everyone has them, but depending on how you handle them, they do not always stink. Welcome to my blog! My sales career began at a young age where as a boy I sold tortillas door-to-door. Through High School and College, I helped manage my parents’ restaurant and catering business. I earned a B.A. in Marketing from Colorado State University, and am a 2011 MBA Candidate at the University of San Francisco. My professional experience includes B2B sales in the office supply and financial services industry. Today I am a Sales Manager for a Fortune 500 company.

I have mastered prospecting techniques and will share tips to help you generate more sales. Regardless of the product, service, or idea you are selling we all face objections from our perspective clients. If you make a list of all the objections, you hear you will find only a few core objections people have:

“Not interested”
“I am happy with my current service provider”
“I am satisfied”
“Too expensive”
“I don’t want to make a change right now”
“I am too busy to meet”
“If it ain’t broke why fix it”
“Take me off your list”
“No soliciting”
“We’ve got that taken care of”
“My family member does that for me”
“My accountant does that for me”
“I have been with my current service provider for 20 years”
“No”

The list goes on, but when you analyze the reasoning behind these objections, you will be able to consolidate them down to only a handful.

You can get past most objections by saying the following words “Great, Perfect, and No Problem” (GPNP). That is right, it is that easy. Go ahead and try.

“Not interested”
Your response, “Perfect that’s exactly why I am calling”

“I am too busy to meet”
Your response, “No problem, all I need is 15 minutes how about next Tuesday at 11am?”

“My accountant takes care of that for me”
Your response, “Great, I am glad you see the value in outsourcing to a third party”

Easy right, three simple words that get you past the objection, buys more time and allows you to ask another question. Listen to what the prospect is saying, (insert G, P, N, P) and pause (to show you heard them) and continue with your qualifying questions)

Please share your comments, results, and stay tuned for more sales tips.

5 comments:

  1. Arthur I like all the examples and quick turnarounds to overcome the objections. These could help people out in sales in any industry. I can't wait to hear more sales tips!
    Karen Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be very refreshing if some of the salespeople that called me used your advice. It's extremely annoying when they continue to read a script when I respond with a "not interested". You provided some good positive ways to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely taking these 3 golden phrases with me going forward, Arthur. And I use the "wave" everywhere I go now, just to see what their response is... money! www.playunderreview.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can attest that these techniques work and work well. The man always has answers no matter what questions or problems come up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arthur has great ideas and his results prove they work.

    ReplyDelete